Since its opening in 2009, Attiki has been taking care of supporting the numerous associations that feed, neuter and re-home the island’s cats all year, so much so that at our hotel eleven cats have found a home.
It all started with the arrival of Mimma. It was a night … not really dark and stormy, and a small black and white cat with more personality than weight decided to get adopted by the staff. At the time Attiki was preparing to open for the first time and Mara and Francesco were continually engaged in renovations and renovations, yet Mimma was able to become part of their intense days and their hearts.
But the feline surprises weren’t destined to diminish, on the contrary, one evening, at dinner, Mimma jumped scared and a little confused on Francesco’s knees and suddenly started the labour. Mimma, shortly after, became Mamma: of Nina, the only one to be literally born to Attiki.
Mimma and Nina were the first guests of the newly founded hotel. The birth was welcomed with joy, but Mara and Francesco soon realized that being “crazy cat ladies” also meant taking responsibility for the little cats. As soon as the veterinarian established that the time had come, Mimma and Nina were sterilized, vaccinated and carefully visited. The check up gave positive results: the two kittens were in perfect health!
Content and calm, Mara and Francesco certainly did not expect that the two kittens would have been only the first of a large pack, formed a little at a time, and that cats would have been such a great cause of joy for all the guests.
Today the “honorary members” of the staff are, in addition to Mimma and Nina:
- Clara, the most photographed grey and pink mascot of the hotel, whose beautiful coat blends perfectly with the sandstone;
- Agata, aka Pucci, the athletic red cat who loves spending her days at the Archaeological Museum, our excellent neighbor, to take advantage of the secular trees in its garden;
- Sofia, the curvy beauty with jade eyes that silently and attentive loves to watch the garden from its comfortable armchair in the sun;
- Cuginetto, the Mayor of the neighborhood, who likes to go down to the corner of Socratus Street to perform before tourists, as a good actor;
- Pippo, the deputy mayor of the neighborhood, who instead can be found every night in a different restaurant, to the delight of our guests who, following him, always know how to find excellent seafood;
- Despina, Calliope “Poppy” and Kiriako, the three spotted brothers, with long, graceful paws, timid and very sweet;
- Renato, our fourteen-year old man with the majestic orange fur and the lazy nature, who loves to enjoy his retirement in the sun, on the terrace.
A special mention must go to Giuseppe and Ernesto, flown on the rainbow bridge after a full life, enjoyed among first-rate cuddles, good food and lots of rest in the sun. We are missing them, but we know that we have given them a wonderful life and that what they have taught us will enable us to help the next cats to come even better.
Another honorable mention, this time a different one, goes to Berta and Gandulfo, two friends flown … to Germany, to their new families. Sometimes this also happens: you go on vacation, come to Attiki and go home with a piece of us. A piece capable of purring and giving unconditional love.
We hope that this brief history has made you want to get to know our little, magical reality in person.
With purr and affection,